Mar 022011

DON SCHATZEL, News-Ledger columnist

NEWS-LEDGER – MARCH 2, 2011 -

By Don Schatzel

Have you ever played “Hey Cow”?

This is a game where, while driving on the highway and totally bored, you take turns yelling “hey cow!” at each cow you pass. You get a point for each one that looks up.

I hope your highway driving is more interesting than mine. But while driving on the highway in and around West Sacramento it is interesting to see how many recreational activities people are involved in.  Fortunately, there’s a lot more to look at than some cows.

In this city, there are fishing boats, pleasure boats, jet skis, and horse trailers. And in a couple of weeks, we will experience our annual decision making process: “Hmm, do we drive 1 1/2 hours east and snow ski, or 1 1/2 miles west and go to the beach?” It will be warm enough!!

Lots of people with lots of hobbies doing fun stuff!

Which reminds me: the “boys and girls of summer” have started!

West Sacramento girls softball, West Sac Little League, Washington Little League and the West Sacramento Dolphin swim club have all started and are still registering. The West Sacramento Trail Riders Association’s “Pony Club” is also planning a summer of activities for young horsepeople, and they all have web sites for more details and information.

On the local youth sports scene:

Congratulations to Clarksburg Elementary School’s basketball team, finishing the season with and 8-0 record under Coach Sue Whipple. Of the 12 girls on the team, 8 are from West Sac including  Sue’s daughter, Jahna.

Elsewhere on the basketball courts, Julianna Calles of Our Lady of Grace school’s 6th grade basketball team scored 15 of her team’s 21 points and had two assists in a recent win.

And then there’s the River City High School robotics team!  The robotics squad participated in a Bay Area competition recently — for the first time in the history of the school.

Here I am talking about “Hey cow!” and these folks are in a robotics competition!!

Fall ball girls softball: the West Sac teams won the minor and major division championship. They were coached by Leanna Hendrickson and John Blackmer.

And finally, kudos to Jordan Ligons at River City High School.

She is a junior on the River City High basketball team that just qualified for the second year in a row for the playoffs. Jordan is a Sierra Valley Conference “All League” player, and a team “Co-Player of the Year.” She’s also the editor in chief of the school newspaper with a GPA above 3.85.

Wow!!

West Sacramento hometown sports: great things being done by great people, in a great town!

Do you have a tip about some youth accomplishments for this column?  You can reach Don Schatzel by emailing dons1129@att.net . You can send him your tip and (if appropriate) a separate JPG photo.

Copyright News-Ledger 2011

Steve Marschke

Steve Marschke