FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER – AUG 31, 2011 -
By Steve Marschke
A man has died of his injuries after being shot in the head at about 2:40 a.m. on Saturday morning at the Welcome Grove Trailer Park.
West Sacramento Police Department answered a call that a man had been shot in space 50 at the complex. They found Matthew Smith lying injured inside that unit.
While police were setting up a perimeter, suspect Charles Quillin, age 21, walked up to them in front space 50 and was taken into custody without incident.
Police said they recovered the .32 caliber handgun used in the shooting – and firefighters who treated Smith found a .32 caliber handgun on Smith as well.
Smith was transported to the hospital, but later died of his injuries.
“Initial indications are that the suspect, Charles Quillin, and the victim, Matthew Smith, knew each other and were together at this location partying with three other subjects,” said a press release from W.S.P.D.’s Lieutenant Scott McCartney. “During the party, both Smith and Quillin began to argue with each other. Sometime during the argument, Quillin shot Smith multiple times with a .32 caliber handgun. Quillin nthen left the residence.
The police interviewed several witnesses after the shooting. Anyone with information is asked to call Lt. McCartney at (916) 267-0710.
Copyright News-Ledger 2011