FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JULY 16, 2014 –
by Mary K. Hanson
Tuleyome is launching a new “Nature and You” – Thursday Talks at the Library lecture series in partnership with the Yolo County Library starting in this month. All of the lectures are FREE to the public and will be held once a month on a Thursday evening at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St., Davis, CA 95616 in the Blanchard Room from 6:30-7:45 pm.
The series will focus on nature (including the earth-sciences, the environment and conservation, clean water, climate change, etc.). Piggy-backing on the nationally acclaimed STEM program, which encourages young people — especially young women — to enter into the educational fields of science, technology, engineering and math, Tuleyome’s lecture series this year will predominantly feature female speakers: strong models of women in the scientific and academic fields.
Families, seniors, youth groups and women’s group are all invited to attend.
• Thursday, July 24, 2014: “How Plants Deal with Environmental Stresses” with Anna Davidson, bioartist and host of WISE and LASER
• Thursday, August 28, 2014: “Exploring virus-vector-plant interactions” with Diane Ullman, Professor of Entomology and Nematology at UC Davis
• Thursday, September 25, 2014: “Honey Bees and the Haven” with Christine Casey, Manager of the Häagen-Dazs Honey Bee Haven
• Thursday, October 23, 2014: “What Does a Plant Taxonomist Do?” with Ellen Dean, Herbarium Curator at UC Davis
• Thursday, November 20, 2014: “Solar Energy for Everyone” with Rebekah Casey of GRID Alternatives North Valley
More lectures are also slated for 2015, and there is a possibility that Tuleyome’s lecture series may dovetail with the Putah Creek Council’s CreekSpeak lecture series next year in order to provide more free lectures to the public!
For more information visit to the Tuleyome website at www.tuleyome.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you like what you see here?
You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.
You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).
Copyright News-Ledger 2014