Rattle Snake caught on Bridgeway Lakes Dr

Home Forums WEST SAC TALKS NEIGHBORHOODS SOUTHPORT Rattle Snake caught on Bridgeway Lakes Dr

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve Marschke Steve Marschke 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Eric Harding
    Participant

I just caught a very aggressive, biting, hissing and tail rattling snake in my garage. Everyone should be on the outlook, it is small (12-18 inches) but you still don’t want to be bitten by one.

Joshua Bush

Hi,

Looks to me to be a gopher snake. Gopher snakes are far more common in this area as the habitat is better suited for them. Notice the smaller stream-lined head that is not triangular in shape. Triangular shaped heads are typical of venomous snakes. The hissing and tail rattling are also common for a gopher snake. They evolved the tail rattling to mimic rattle snakes and avoid predation. Hopefully this snake was released somewhere suitable like a vacant field.

Please see the following website for pictures: http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakespics.html

Thanks

Steve Marschke
    Steve Marschke
    Participant

JBUSH was right — I had a talk with Eric after he called animal control services, and it turned out to be a gopher snake.
    I agree with JBUSH’s comment that the shape of a snake’s head is really helpful in identifying a rattlesnake — a rattler has a distinctive, wide, wedge-shaped head.
    Apparently, Eric’s gopher snake displayed the “mimicry” behavior of shaking its tail like a rattlesnake.
    Better safe than sorry!
    STEVE MARSCHKE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Eric Harding

Eric Harding is a Northern California based freelance Web Developer & Photographer.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.