Jun 042012

JORDAN LIGONS (second from left) with her parents and Coach Jamie King (right) Photo by SAM URREA

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — MAY 30, 2012 –

By Sam Urrea
River City High School Journalism Program

JORDAN HAD COVERED THIS TYPE OF EVENT BEFORE, AS A STUDENT REPORTER. BUT THIS TIME, SHE WAS THE ONE IN THE NEWS.

River City High School senior Jordan Ligons held a celebratory gathering earlier this month to sign her letter of intent to attend and play basketball for Point Loma University in San Diego. Joining her for the signing were some of her teachers, teammates and parents.

Jordan, 18, drew interest from numerous college and universities after being a key player on the RCHS girls basketball team for the past four years, as well as being a high-achieving student.

As a four-year starter at the point guard position, she helped win 71 varsity games, and three out of her four years, her team qualified for the CIF Playoffs. She also obtained accolades such as All League Selections for her sophomore and junior years, when she was named most valuable player.

On the academic side, Jordan’s accumulative G.P.A is 3.86. She has been editor in chief of the school newspaper for three years and won numerous speech competitions.

After rejecting the likes of San Francisco State, UC Merced and Menlo College, Jordan could not hide her excitement after finally making a decision and choosing Point Loma as her next destination in life.

“I am so relieved!,” said Jordan at her “letter of intent” signing ceremony. “I have been waiting for this moment for such a long time. All the hard work I have put in has finally paid off. I am happy that all the important people of my life are here with me to celebrate.”

Such congratulatory festivities are not new to Jordan. Last year, a similar event took place for then-River City Baseball star Kasey Chapan, an occasion which she covered as a reporter for her hournalism class. Now, it was her turn to be the center of attention, which was something she cherished with intensity.

“Last year I covered the same type of event for Kasey Chapan, who had just committed himself to Sacramento State, so this year for me to be the one being recognized is simply great!” said Jordan.

Teachers, parents and friends alike were not at all surprised by Jordan achievements. Girls’ basketball coach Jamie King was a proud man after seeing his star player live up to expectations.

Said King: “Ever since day one, she has been a winner. She is a natural leader and loves to take control of things. For someone playing point guard, you need just that. I am not at all surprised by what she has accomplished.”

Her father, Jerold Ligons, who was also an assistant coach on the team, reckoned she has matured into a formidable young woman. “Each year she grew as a human being and athlete. Her hard work paid off with this scholarship.”

Now that her immediate future is finally resolved, doing well in college is crucial for Jordan. Her scholarship will cover over half of her financial costs for the first year, but every year after that it must be earned based and her academic and athletic performance.

Her teammate, Amarita Singh, says the pressure will not affect Jordan, however.  “She works hard for everything she gets. She’s a self-motivated person. I am sure she will do great in college.”

With only a few months left before her departure, Jordan expects to continue her remarkable performances on and off the court.

The author is a student journalist at River City High School.

Yes, you can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper.  It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Steve Marschke

Steve Marschke