Jun 282012

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JUNE 20, 2012 –

FIRECRACKER SALES BRING CASH TO LOCAL CHARITIES AND CHURCHES, AS WELL AS WHOLESALERS

By Steve Marschke, News-Ledger Editor

Fireworks booths will open up today inWest Sacramento, so local charities can raise money and residents can buy “safe and sane” fireworks for use on the Fourth of July.

The booths will be allowed to open from Thursday, June 28, through Independence Day, July 4. They’re allowed to sell from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Charities were picked by city permit lottery. Here are the groups and locations, in case you want to support your favorite local cause:

Collings Teen Center/Campus Life Connection volunteers will be at a booth in the Raley’s supermarket parking lot, 1601 West Capitol Avenue.

The West Sacramento Youth Resource Coalition will operate a booth in the parking lot near Nick’s Diner and McDonalds, at the corner of West Capitol Avenue and Harbor Boulevard.

American Legion Baseball volunteers will sell fireworks in the Safeway parking lot, at the corner of West Capitol and Jefferson Blvd.

Southport Community Church will staff a booth in the Lowe’s parking lot, 2250 Lake Washington Blvd. (west of Jefferson in Southport).

The Knights of Columbus will sell firecrackers in the parking lot near Papa Murphy’s pizza,2455 Jefferson   Blvd. (east side of the intersection atLake Washington Blvd.)

The River City Apostolic Church and School will raise money by selling firecrackers at the Walmart parking lot,  755 Riverpoint Court.

Youth for Christ Ministries will have a booth at the Arteaga’s market parking lot, corner of Jefferson   Blvd. and Sacramento Avenue.

The West Sacramento Historical Society will do some firecracker vending in the parking lot of the Southport Town Center (near Nugget market, at Jefferson   Blvd. and Lake Washington).

It’s the second year for which “safe and sane” fireworks have been legalized in West Sac for limited sale and use. The above eight churches and nonprofit groups were chosen by lottery from among 41 local organizations who applied for a city fireworks vending permit this year.

Jim Brewer of the West Sacramento Historical Society said his booth earned about $15,000 in profits last year, “the first year (of the program) and a year in which we were rained out one day.” The group partnered with another charity, splitting the money.

The history society won a vendor permit again this year, and will work with the West Sacramento Singers and other volunteers when they open theirSouthportfirecracker stand next week. The society will again split the staffing and the proceeds with partners.

Each local nonprofit works with one of two approved fireworks wholesalers – Phantom or TNT.

Brewer said the amount actually earned depends on things like the quality of the site, the level of organization of the nonprofit, and the amount of rent charged to the temporary fireworks stand by the landlord. That cost, said Brewer, can range from “free” to “expensive.” These variables can affect whether each booth nets more or less than $15,000 for the season, said Brewer.

Yes, you can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper.  It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Steve Marschke

Steve Marschke