Man gets 21 years in assault case
FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — APRIL 3, 2012 —
Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced that on March 7, Superior Court Judge Paul Richardson sentenced Michael Robert Hernandez III, 33, of West Sacramento, to 21 years in state prison for attacking his girlfriend.
Hernandez pled no contest on January 24 to two strike-felonies, and multiple enhancements, including assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury, infliction of great bodily injury during domestic violence, and dissuading a witness.
According to the District Attorney’s office:
[adrotate group=”7″] On October 11, 2012, West Sacramento Police Officers were dispatched to a residence on Circle Drive, for a report of a fight between Hernandez and the victim. She and Hernandez were in a verbal argument that became physical when Hernandez pushed the victim to the floor and strangled her, causing her to nearly lose consciousness before he released his grip Hernandez then punched and kicked the victim multiple times. While the victim was lying on the floor Hernandez straddled the victim and strangled her again, this time to the point of unconsciousness.
When the victim regained consciousness, Hernandez was going through her cell phone and threatened to hit her with a bicycle lock to prevent her from using her phone. The victim was ultimately able to use another phone to call a nearby family member for help. When West Sacramento Police Officers arrived, Hernandez had already left the home.
The next day, says the D.A.’s office, Hernandez contacted the victim over the phone and asked if she was going to testify against him. When she answered that she would, he said that he was driving around looking for her with a firearm in his lap, and threatened to shoot her in the head.
Copyright News-Ledger 2013