FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JUNE 26, 2013 –
Sales of “safe and sane” fireworks in West Sacramento may legally begin at approved booths at noon on Friday. The sales are permitted through the Fourth of July holiday. Except for the shortened hours (noon to 10 p.m.) on the first day, booths are allowed to be open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily during that period. Individual booths may not be operated during all these hours.
Actual use of the “safe and sane” fireworks is legal from noon on Friday (July 28) through noon on July 6.
Various charities entered the annual raffle to win a permit to sell fireworks in the city this Independence Day season. The winners, and their planned booth locations, are:
– West Sacramento Little League will operate a booth near Papa Murphy’s Pizza, Lake Washington and Jefferson boulevards in Southport.
– Campus Life Connection/Collings West Sacramento Teen Center will be in front of Safeway.
– Joy Christian Ministries will be outside Wal-Mart.
– The West Sacramento Christmas Basket Project will be at Jefferson Plaza.
– West Sacramento Community Singers will have a booth near Walgreens and La Bou.
– The West Sacramento Historical Society will be at the Southport Town Center.
– The West Sacramento Rotary will sell fireworks near Whitey’s Jolly Kone near Jefferson and 15th Street.
– River City Rowing Club will be in front of Arteaga’s Supermarket on Sacramento Avenue at Kegle Drive.
Each group will have a license to work with a fireworks wholeseller, and will get to keep some of the proceeds from the “safe and sane” fireworks.
Do you like what you see here?
You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.
You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).
Copyright News-Ledger 2013