Category Archives: News

Southport McDonalds to open


McDonald’s will open its new  in Southport soon, and plans a grand opening celebration for Sat., Feb. 4.  The restaurant is located in the Lowe’s center at 2244 Lake Washington Boulevard

“We are thrilled to be opening a brand new McDonald’s restaurant in the West Sacramento area and hope everyone will come to enjoy the new look and feel of this restaurant,” said Charles Specht, the local owner of the McDonald’s restaurant, in a press release.  “This new restaurant reflects McDonald’s commitment to the community and to the environment, and I am thrilled to be able to showcase this beautiful restaurant to our customers.”

The restaurant promises LED lighting to save on electricity usage, and three energy-saving HVAC units. The restaurant recycles all of their cardboard products and oil, said a press statement.

The grand opening on February 4 will start at 11 a.m. and end at 2 p.m.  As part of the festivities, West Sacramento Chamber of Commerce CEO  Denise Seals will join city council members and Yolo County Supervisor Mike McGowan  in a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 11:30 am.  Ronald McDonald will also be there to interact with kids.

There will be giveaway prizes including flat screen TVs, iPods and Kindles.  A face painter will be on hand for children, and radio station 107.9 “The End FM” will also participate  from 11 am to 1 pm. Entertainment will also be provided by the River City High School Band, and members of the RCHS Football team and cheerleading squad.

The McDonalds follows close on the heels of a Taco Bell restaurant in the same shopping complex. Both have drive-through lanes.

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Bustamante turns himself in, denies charges


By Steve Marschke
News-Ledger Editor

Arturo Bustamante, a teacher and football coach on the River City High School campus, turned himself in to the West Sacramento Police Department Friday for arrest, in the company of his attorney. He was booked into jail.

ARTURO BUSTAMANTE: RCHS teacher/coach denies allegations made by several female students

Bustamante, 42, has been charged with a number of misdemeanor and felony charges related to molestation and lewd conduct with minors.

He had been on paid leave from his RCHS duties after a female student alleged in October that Bustamante had “inappropriately touched” her earlier this year.

According to the Yolo County District Attorney’s office, Bustamante now stands accused of  several felony and misdemeanor counts of “lewd and lascivious acts” and “child molestation” involving four students, age about 15-16, during 2010-2011.

“His range of sentence if convicted is probation with up to one year in county jail to 4 years 4 months in prison,” said Jonathan Raven, Chief Deputy District Attorney, in an emailed statement.

Raven declined to discuss the allegations in detail.

The Washington Unified School District reports that Bustamante is now on “compulsory leave of absence pending the outcome of the matter.”

Bustamante voluntarily turned himself after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

FIDEL MARTINEZ, attorney for Bustamante

His attorney, West Sacramento’s Fidel Martinez, told the News-Ledger yesterday he had not yet seen the charged filed against his client.

“He, of course, denies all the charges absolutely,” said Martinez. “I have many emails and letters of support from West Sacramento residents on behalf of Mr. Bustamante. He’s been a teacher for 15 years.”

Martinez said bail has been set at $150,000. Bustamante was still in jail on Tuesday, with arraignment scheduled for that afternoon. Martinez said he would seek to have Bustamante allowed to be released on his own recognizance while awaiting trial.

It’s not the first time Bustamante has faced an accusation of inappropriate conduct. In April, 2010, police received a complaint from a teenage woman who was a guest at his house, accusing him of setting up a video camera in the home for inappropriate purposes.

About that incident, Martinez responded to the News-Ledger:

“The police officers confiscated his computer and his videotapes, and they found absolutely nothing incriminating.”

No charges were filed in that incident.

  Arturo Bustamante (“Art,” or “Coach Busta”) is a graduate of River City High. He has been a social studies teacher at the school as well as second-year head coach for football, until he was placed on leave after the allegation was made in October.

  TO COMMENT on this article, please visit the same article at our sister website, Please remain respectful of the rights of all parties involved.

  Support local journalism, and see all our articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger.  It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, by mail..

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Safely get rid of ‘hazardous’ stuff


The Yolo County Planning & Public Works, Division of Integrated Waste Management holds weekly collection of household hazardous waste (HHW) at the Yolo County Central Landfill (44090 County Road 28H).  The HHW facility is open every Friday and Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The landfill also accepts hazardous waste from businesses in Yolo County that have products which are corrosive, reactive, toxic or ignitable.  Businesses in the areas of construction, printing, equipment or vehicle maintenance, furniture refinishing and farms/ranches that create hazardous waste are encouraged to utilize this program.  Business hazardous waste is accepted by appointment only and there is a fee for disposal.  For more information about this program or to schedule an appointment, call (866) 714-8470.

   Materials that will be accepted from the public and businesses include: batteries; fluorescent bulbs or tubes; used motor oil and filters; cleaning supplies; lighter fluid; antifreeze; aerosols; garden pesticides and herbicides; latex or oil based paints; solvents; poisons; electrical switches/relays; pilot light sensors; mercury thermostats and containerized syringes.

Yolo County also provides a reuse program which is open to the public during the same hours as the HHW collection program.  The reuse program makes household cleaning supplies, lawn, garden and automotive products, and household paint available to residents at no charge. Often, products are dropped off at the HHW facility simply because they are no longer needed.  These products have original labels and are nearly full.

HHW events are sponsored by the Yolo County Department of Planning & Public Works, Division of Integrated Waste Management.  For more information on proper disposal of HHW, call (530) 666-8856 or visit:

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Half-off ‘amnesty’ for old traffic tickets

NEWS-LEDGER — Jan 11, 2012 —

If you have a traffic ticket debt that was due by Jan. 1, 2009, but which you still owe, you may qualify for a 50%-off “traffic amnesty” program now in effect.

  According to the Judicial Council of California, you have to meet all the following conditions:

— You either failed to appear in court or failed to pay in full.

— The last date you made a payment was on or before January 1, 2009.

— You don’t owe restitution to a victim on any case in the county where the traffic case was filed.

— You who have no outstanding misdemeanor or felony warrants in the county where the ticket was issued.

— Other eligibility requirements may vary from county to county.

The California Legislature mandated (Assembly Bill 1358) that all 58 counties implement a one-time amnesty period that allows a lump sum payment of 50 percent of the outstanding balance on certain violations to fully satisfy that court ordered obligation.

Only traffic tickets that were due to be paid before January 1, 2009, are eligible. Parking tickets, driving under the influence (DUI), and reckless driving cases are NOT eligible.

The program ends on June 30.

You can find contact information and other information at the Yolo Superior Court website.

According to the judicial council, the amnesty program would provide relief to individuals who have found themselves in violation of a court-ordered obligation because they are financially unable to pay traffic bail or fines.

It would also bring in revenue at a time when revenue is scarce by encouraging payment of old fines that have remained unpaid, and would allow courts and counties to resolve older delinquent cases and focus limited resources on collecting on more recent cases.

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Pepper spray update: no charges against UC Davis protesters

NEWS-LEDGER ONLINE — 11:57 A.M., JAN 20, 2012

Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig has just announced that there is “insufficient information contained within the police reports submitted by the UC Davis Police Department to justify the filing of criminal charges against those individuals arrested during the November 18, 2011, confrontation with UC Davis Police during the “Occupy UC Davis” protest.”

The District Attorney will not be filing charges against the protesters.

The District Attorney’s investigation of the use of pepper spray by police during the incident is still underway.

The D.A.’s office and Sheriff’s Department had asked California Attorney General Kamala D. Harris to take over the investigation of the use of pepper spray by police at the campus, but Harris declined, saying there were no conflicts of interest or other factors to warrant her office taking over the investigation from the county.

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Parole denied in 1983 killing


District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced last month that convicted murderer Kevin Bruce was denied parole for a period of three years at California State Prison-Solano in Vacaville, California.

According to the D.A.:

Bruce is serving 15 years to life for second degree murder for the 1983 fatal strangulation of 67 year old Marion Cantor in a West Sacramento motel room.  Cantor was lured to a motel in West Sacramento by a female known to both him and Bruce. When Cantor arrived, he was assaulted and robbed. During the attack, Bruce and Keith Chandler used the cord from an electric clock to strangle Cantor to death.  Bruce has been in state prison for about 28 years.

After deliberating for about ten minutes, Commissioner Mike Prizmich returned with the panel’s decision.  In denying the request by Bruce to be paroled, he noted that Bruce had not done enough to help himself get prepared for a release from prison.

Yolo County Deputy District Attorney Garrett Hamilton attended the hearing on behalf the County of Yolo.  Said Hamilton in a press release:

“It is clear that Mr. Bruce is not ready to be out of prison, since he continues to deny any responsibility for the killing and has no meaningful plans for what he would do if he were to be released. Even Mr. Bruce acknowledged that his plans upon release are lacking.”

Copyright News-Ledger 2012

Teens caught in Southport after chase


By Steve Marschke
News-Ledger Editor

Seven juveniles believed to have jumped out of a stolen car in Southport were taken into custody Sunday night after an intense search that included a helicopter and K-9 dog teams.

Things started at 11:43 p.m. when a call came in from the Ramada Inn on Halyard Drive in West Sacramento, reported Sergeant Nathan Steele of the West Sacramento Police Department.

“They had a concert at Ramada Inn with over 500 attending,” said Steele. “A fight broke out. Our officers responded to assist security (personnel). One of our officers arrived, and saw a vehicle leave at a high speed. He got behind it, and ran the plates, and it came back stolen.”

  Police chased the Ford Explorer to Southport, where it crashed and lost a wheel near Southport Parkway, Otis Avenue and Turlock Street.

“The occupants fled. Numerous outside agencies assisted, including Sacramento P.D., the CHP, and our agency.”

Police dog teams from both Sacramento and West Sacramento came to the scene, as did a Sacramento police helicopter, said Steele.

Three suspects – a 17-year old girl and two 15-year old boys – turned themselves in fairly quickly. Others “were in fields and backyards,” said Steele.

After being warned, police turned loose police dogs to find the other fleeing teens, and took custody of four more – all aged between 15-17, with addresses in Sacramento and Elk Grove. At least two of the hiding suspects were apparently bit by police dogs sent in to get them, said Steele.

“It is believed they are all in custody,” said Steele. “They were taken into custody for possession of stolen property (the car) and resisting arrest.”

  Support local journalism, and see all our articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger.  It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, by mail..

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2012