Tag Archives: ca

Firefighters practice on Marshall Road

NEWS-LEDGER ONLINE — JULY 31, 2013 —

West Sacramento firefighters will be practicing their fire control techniques over the next couple of hours (early afternoon, July 31) at a Southport structure donated for their use.

The controlled burn will take place at 3450 Marshall Road, near Golden Gate Drive.

According to Division Chief Becky Ramirez, firefighters will focus on “defensive techniques” — attempting to contain the fire in just one portion of the structure, or coming up with a strategy to keep it from spreading to (hypothetical) adjoining structures.

The burn has been scheduled for some time, pending approval of air quality officials who were waiting for suitable conditions.  Neighbors have been notified, Ramirez told the News-Ledger.

The landowners plan to demolish the structure after the burn practice.

Copyright News-Ledger 2013

Kids’ music camp performs a finale

Final summer performance of the West Sacramento KIDS Music Camp (Click to enlarge).Information and photo courtesy of Charlotte Dorsey, BBCAN

Final summer performance of the West Sacramento KIDS Music Camp (Click to enlarge).Information and photo courtesy of Charlotte Dorsey, BBCAN

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JULY 24, 2013 —

The annual “Kids Summer Music Camp” presented a public concert on Thursday in front of parents and friends.

The camp offered a number of local children their first experience with a musical instrument. It was part of the K.I.D.S. program of the West Sacramento Parks and Recreation Department. Although that program works with several schools, music camp was offered this year solely in conjunction with Elkhorn Village Elementary School.

Participation was free to the kids, and instruments were provided. Working with the parks department to support the music camp were the Bryte and Broderick Community Action Network and West Sacramento Music Academy.

Copyright News-Ledger 2013

Teen maimed by improvised fireworks

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JULY 24, 2013 —

By Steve Marschke
News-Ledger Editor

The “4th of July” fireworks season wasn’t all fun and games this year in West Sacramento.

“On July 7, a 19-year old man blew off his hand – literally blew it off – as a result of the detonation of an improvised fireworks device,” said Lieutenant Tod Sockman of the West Sacramento Police Department.

“Basically, he made a homemade firework and took it out of his backpack,” Sockman told the News-Ledger. “When he lit it and raised it over his head, it blew his hand off.”

The victim was Alexander Baker. The incident occurred at about 3 p.m. on the 2200-block of Rice Avenue, said Sockman. Two other people were on scene but “at a distance” when it blew. Sockman added that police weren’t sure about the device’s origin:

“He claimed to have found it, but we don’t know. He went to UC Davis Medical Center for treatment. I know that he’s had surgery, and he lost his hand up to his forearm.”

Sockman said investigators were still determining what the device was made from, but that it wasn’t a “safe and sane” type of legal fireworks.

Three seasons ago, the City of West Sacramento legalized “safe and sane” fireworks. Charities were selected by lottery to sell these fireworks by lottery, and they could legally be set off this year from noon on July 28 through noon on July 6.

With fireworks season comes complaints from local residents about neighbors using illegal styles of fireworks – powerful exploding types, or aerial fireworks. The News-Ledger observed dozens of such complaints in police call logs early this month.

But Sockman says that – at least judging by calls to police – the problem of illegal fireworks is not rising year-by-year.

“Between June 28 and July 4, we tracked the calls for service (due misuse of fireworks) in 2012 and 2013,” said Sockman. “Last year, we had 88 calls for service related to fireworks. It was not necessarily for illegal fireworks. Sometimes, people are just saying, ‘hey, people are shooting off fireworks.’”

“We had 33 calls this year,” he added.  Peak time for the complaints went from about 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. during those days, said Sockman. But he noted that the number of complaints had dropped by over half from the previous year.

“On the Fourth of July, we actually assigned two officers to fireworks patrol,” he added.

No one was ever actually cited or arrested this year. People frequently “light them off and run,” so they’re gone when officers arrive, said Sockman.

So what should you do next year, if you believe someone is using fireworks illegally?

“Call us,” said Sockman. “The fact that we assigned two officers to handle this shows the importance. We appreciate those calls because we want to get the illegal fireworks off the street.”

 

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2013

 

 

15 block parties planned for ‘National Night Out’ in West Sac

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JULY 24, 2013 —

The annual “National Night Out” block party and anti-crime rally is planned for Aug. 6 this year. Fifteen West Sacramento blocks will hold events this year from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. They are:

Washington Courtyard Apartments (500 7th St.);
Las Casitas Apartments (685 Lighthouse Dr.);
Sunset Village Apartments (1611 Madrone Ave.);
West Capitol Courtyard (2455 West Capitol Ave.);
3429 Evergreen Ave.;
1016 Meadow Rd.;
1613 19th St.;
19th St. and Pennsylvania Ave.;
Aster and Manchester Streets;
2692 Mandeville Way;
Barona Court;
Sumatra and Mandura Streets;
3590 Antigua Pl.;
1527 Redding Rd.;
and 3733 Elsinore Ct.

For questions, call Community Service Officer Nora McDowell, (916) 617-4937.

Copyright News-Ledger 2013

Target of search now in jail

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JULY 24, 2013 —

Last week, the News-Ledger reported on an incident that brought the SWAT team and residential evacuations to an area of Holly Street in West Sacramento. Police were looking for 30-year old William John Ybarra, an ex-felon wanted for allegedly making “criminal threats.”

They didn’t find him during that July 15 event.

But a West Sacramento police arrest report indicates Ybarra was picked up during a local traffic stop two days later, and “booked into Yolo County Jail for his outstanding warrant.”

The arrest report also added a little more detail to the earlier incident in which police unsuccessfully searched Ybarra’s home at 2250 Holly Street:

“During a search of the residence, the sounds of a ‘shotgun racking’ came from the basement area,” reported an officer. “Additionally, one shotgun round was located within the residence.”

As a felon, Ybarra was not allowed to possess guns or ammunition, noted the officer.

 

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2013

 

West Sac softball: Nor Cal champs!

All Stars USE

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA CHAMPIONS ALL: West Sacramento age 9-10 softball players Laura Garcia, Hailey Luna, Chloe Kitchens, Isabella Mendez, Coach Javier Cano, Vanessa Hensley, Claudia Medina, Mari Cano, Coach Troy Hensley, Jessica Baum, Julie Chand, Viviana Dazo, Coach Adam Medina, Amaya Patenga, Lilly Aversalo and Reyna Sandoval
CLICK TO ENLARGE. Photo by Robert Baum

BY DON SCHATZEL, NEWS-LEDGER COLUMNIST

The Girls of Summer!

“Congratulations” doesn’t say enough to the West Sacramento Girls Softball Little League team from West  Sac, all 100% of them, and they are the 2013, state of California, Northern California champions!

The team was brilliantly coached by Adam Medina, Javier Cano and Troy Hensley.

The players are Vanessa Hensley, Claudia Medina, Laura Garcia, Jessica Baum, Chloe Kitchens,Reyna Sandoval,Mari Cano, Lilly Adversalo, Julie Chand, Viviana Dazo, Amaya Pantega,Isabella Mendez, Hailey Luna.

BY DON SCHATZEL

BY DON SCHATZEL

Their journey started in North Natomas in the Disrtict 6 Tournament. Rio Linda and North Natomas both know the championship road goes through West Sac, and the West Sacramento girls demonstrated that once again by winning the District 6 Championship.

Then it was on to the sectionals in Marysville. The good news was that the games were at 8 p.m., and not in the heat of the  night. The bad was that by the time everyone got home, and coaches were no doubt replaying every pitch of the game in their minds, sleep came between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. You can’t be a zombie at work because you coached a softball game, so the stress on coaches is pretty high – but winning cures all!

West  Sac had to defeat Olivehurst Linda twice once in the semifinals and once in the finals to win the section banner. In hindsight O.L. did West Sac a favor with great pitching, defense and hitting, providing the competition we needed to prepare our budding hampions for the state tournament in Martinez.

West Sac teams have been in Martinez before. The home team there has won four state titles in the last few years, and when Martinez is not winning, it seems like Gilroy is. Both were in this year’s tournament.

West Sac brought a perfect blend of speed, hitting,  defense and pitching, defeating Gilroy 12-0 in pool play and then facing Martinez in the semi finals.

Three West Sac pitchers struck out 10 Martinez hitters. Pitchers Vanessa Hensley, Hailey Luna and Claudia Medina mixed in a fastball with a great changeup to help lead in a 7-2 win.

Hayley Luna had three triples and Vanessa Hensley also had a triple.

Martinez was baffled:

“Do we  play in for the bunt and risk them hitting over our heads, or do we play back and let Claudia Medina and Laura Garci?”

Then came the championship game versus our old friends from Gilroy.

Claudia Medina singled in the first inning. then Vanessa Hensley singled, Reyna Sandoval singled and Hayley Luna continued her hitting rampage with a double. Chloe Kitchens singled and West Sac was ahead 3-0.

Hayley Luna added a two-run homer and struck out nine Gilroy hitters. Mari Cano added a booming triple! Gilroy managed only 2 hits. It was great fun watching them play and represent our community with such style,  excellence and sportsmanship.

West Sac won 15-1 after five innings.  The victory was called early, due to the “mercy rule” invoked by the huge lead. West Sacramento’s All Stars and were crowned as state champions.

Southern California has  a champion team too, but at this age level the two champs don’t play each other.

The “Girls of Summer”: what a great accomplishment.

 

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2013

 

‘West Sac Press’ to close its doors

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JULY 24, 2013 —

The West Sacramento Press newspaper will cease publication this month.

The doors will close after about 25 years of weekly operations.

Reached by phone, a Press staffer confirmed the closure but declined further comment. She said the final edition of the Press this Friday would include a statement about the closure.

The Press began as a weekly alternative to the News-Ledger that was initially funded by a group of local businesspeople, and published by Daryl and Betty McCann.

Later, the broadsheet-style paper was purchased by Gibson Publications, a media group from the East Bay.  Gibson last year moved the publication date to Fridays.

 

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledge newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2013