Tag Archives: car

$10,000 for River City High booster club

December Brinsfield-Briscoe of the River City High School Athletic Boosters accepted a $10,000 check from Daniel Rocha of Hanlees Auto Group in Davis two weeks ago (courtesy photo)

December Brinsfield-Briscoe of the River City High School Athletic Boosters accepted a $10,000 check from Daniel Rocha of Hanlees Auto Group in Davis two weeks ago (courtesy photo)

NEWS-LEDGER — OCT 15, 2014 —

A representative from Hanlees Auto Group in Davis visited River City High School two weeks ago to hand the school’s athletic booster club a check for $10,000. The money came from Hanlees and the Toyota corporation.

Accepting the check was December Brinsfield-Briscoe, president of the boosters.

The News-Ledger later asked her if the club had ever received a donation that large before.

“Not that I’m aware of,” she responded. “It was quite interesting the way that it came about. (Current) athletic director Jamie King contacted us to let us know Hanlees was interesting in doing a sponsorship for our club. The Toyota corporation contributed half the donation, and Hanlees contributed the other half.”

The money will be used by the booster club to support student-athletes at the school.

“The athletic boosters provide funding and scholarships to eligible athletes,” she said. “And basically, when the athletic department needs anything — training, equipment, courses, football helmets, catcher’s gear, we help.”

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2014

West Sac: odd/even watering days and other new rules approved

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — AUG 13, 2014 —

By Steve Marschke
News-Ledger Editor

As California’s drought continues, the state has tightened up its rules required the City of West Sacramento to follow.

On Wednesday (Aug. 6), West Sacramento declared a “water shortage emergency, stage two.” Local residents and business owners are still being asked to cut their water use by 20 percent from last year, and a number of “voluntary” conservation measures are now becoming “mandatory.”

But staff and several city council members said at last week’s council meeting that they hope they’re not creating a culture of informing on neighbors, and a climate of punishment. They’d rather see neighbors helping each other fix faulty sprinkler systems than informing on each other.

“We will only issue penalties after the third or subsequent violation,” said Paulina Benner, the city’s environmental services manager, at the meeting. “The first two notices will simply be notices informing people of a violation.”
(Some information for this article was taken from video of that meeting.)

The city will do “outreach” informing people of the new rules – using the city “iLights” newsletter,” a printed newsletter, information in residents’ utility bills, social media and press releases,” said Benner.

She said the city government itself is trying to “lead by example.”

“We’re implementing some additional conservation measures such as drastic cutbacks in landscape irrigation and closure of our ‘splash park’ (at the city recreation center pool in Southport), and we’re reducing our street sweeping frequency,” said Benner.

She said those measures are saving over five million gallons per month, or enough to serve about 670 residents.

At Wednesday’s meeting, city officials noted that they have posted signs on street medians and other public-owned property where green grass is being allowed to go brown, explaining that the City of West Sacramento is deliberately reducing its watering.

MARK JOHANNESSEN, City Council Member   (News-Ledger file photo)

MARK JOHANNESSEN, City Council Member
(News-Ledger file photo)

Councilman Mark Johannessen acknowledged this, but added, “I know staff is making sure we at least keep the trees alive.”

Johannessen also suggested using water bills to give residents more information about their water use and about how to conserve it:

“We don’t have water meters throughout the city and there’s really no way to tell who’s using what unless you’ve got a water meter in,” said Johannessen. But he suggested letting metered homes know what they’re using and what they’re being asked to save, and telling them “here’s how you do it – you put a brick in your toilet, and those things.”

The city now has a tip line for messages about water wasters. It’s at (916) 617-4545.

Councilwoman Beverly Sandeen said she hoped the community would come together to save water:

“My hope is that when this gets announced tomorrow and subsequent days, people come together,” said Sandeen. Instead of having the first thing they do be to go to their phones to report their neighbors, they’ll actually knock on the (neighbor’s) door and say ‘Do you need help? I know how to change the timer (on your sprinkler system).’”

The new rules are:
— Using potable (drinkable) water for washing sidewalks and driveways is prohibited.
— Using potable water for washing streets and parking lots is prohibited.
— Using potable water to wash down buildings or to cool building roofs is prohibited.
— Watering of lawns or landscaping between noon and 6:00 p.m. is prohibited.
— Outdoor watering limited to an odd/even schedule. Customers with street addresses that end in an odd number may only irrigate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Customers with street addresses that end in an even number may only irrigate on Wednesday, Fridays, and Sundays. No irrigation is permitted on Mondays.
— Washing a motor vehicle using a hose without a shut-off nozzle is prohibited.
— Using drinkable water in a fountain or other decorative water feature is prohibited unless the water is part of a recirculating system.
— Using drinking water to water outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes runoff to adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots or structures is prohibited.

The suggestions become “law” on September 5, reports the city clerk.

Tip line: (916) 617-4545 (leave a message with information about water being wasted)

For more information, go to cityofwestsacramento.org/water.

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2014

Into the drink:

Parents were summoned after this auto mishap involving juveniles in Southport on Friday afternoon  (Photo & info by Peter Folks)

Parents were summoned after this auto mishap involving juveniles in Southport on Friday afternoon (Photo & info by Peter Folks)

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — JUNE 11, 2014 —

Four juveniles got away with minor injuries after the car they were in went into a pond near Southport Parkway and Marshall Road. The accident call came in at 1:18 p.m. on Friday to local police.

One officer told a reporter that the four were found walking away from the accident .

The Ford Crown Victoria may have been travelling at speed, said an officer, when it left the roadway. The car lost its windshield and bumper — and took out two Italian cypress trees — on its way into the water.

Parents were contacted to pick up the kids at the scene. One of the youths had apparently ‘borrowed’ the rental car from her mother.

The car lost its bumper on its way to the shoreline (Photo by Peter Folks)

The car lost its bumper on its way to the shoreline (Photo by Peter Folks)

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2014

Teen injured by gunshot in car

FROM THE NEWS-LEDGER — FEB. 19, 2014 —

By Steve Marschke
News-Ledger Editor

Four teens face charges after an apparent accidental shooting inside a parked car on February 7.

The shooting happened at about 1 p.m. on the 2600-block of Franklyn Way in West Sacramento. A neighbor heard a gunshot and called police.

Investigators believe a handgun went off inside a car occupied by four teens age 16-17. A 16-year old male was shot in the abdomen.

The car then began driving and encountered a patrol car nearby.

“The only got to the end of the block and the cops showed up on scene,” said Lieutenant Tod Sockman of the West Sacramento Police Department. “They weren’t trying to hide.”

All of the teens – including the injured victim, who is now recovering – say the shooting was an accident.

“One of the other kids had it and they were playing with it,” said Sockman. “I think they thought it was a BB gun. They were playing with it and it went off.”

The gun turned out to be reported stolen.

The teens were cited for reckless discharge of a firearm, possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle, and possession of a stolen firearm.

The victim was treated at UC Davis Medical Center.

 

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2014

Wrong-way driver killed on freeway

NEWS-LEDGER ONLINE — FEB 6, 2014 —

The Yolo County Coroner’s office has identified the woman killed in an early-morning freeway accident today in West Sacramento.

She was Cassandra Caruthers, a 28-year old from Sacramento.

Caruthers  was driving the wrong way on I-80 in West Sacramento at about 2:17 a.m. when she struck another vehicle head-on, reports the coroner’s office. Other aspects of the accident are still ongoing.

Copyright News-Ledger 2014

19-year old cited for driving into power pole in Southport car crash

NEWS-LEDGER ONLINE – JAN 24, 2014

A car went into a Southport power pole yesterday afternoon, dropping a live wire to the road and temporarily shutting off traffic.

According to Lieutenant Tod Sockman of the West Sacramento Police Department, a 19-year old man hit the pole at the intersection of Marshall Road and Otis Avenue at about 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 23.

“The pole was broken in two, causing a live power line to lay across the roadway,” said Sockman in a press release. “The driver, a 19-year old male from West Sacramento, was not injured. . . Alcohol does not appear to be a factor. The driver was cited for excessive speed, leaving the roadway, no insurance, no registration and no driver’s license in possession.”

A portion of Otis Avenue between Marshall Road and Bridgeway Lakes Drive was expected to be closed for “several hours.”

  Do you like what you see here?

  You can support local journalism, support this website, and see all the News-Ledger’s articles every week! Subscribe to the News-Ledger newspaper. It’s only $20 per year within West Sacramento – once a week, delivered to your mailbox.

  You can even try it for free for two months if you live in West Sacramento. Just send your name and mailing address to FreeTrial@news-ledger.com (offer open to new subscribers in West Sacramento ZIP codes 95691 & 95605).

Copyright News-Ledger 2014

 

Coroner ID’s man killed on freeway as 25-year old from Davis

NEWS-LEDGER ONLINE — JAN 8, 2014 —

The Yolo County Coroner’s office has identified the pedestrian killed on a West Sacramento freeway early morning as 25-year old Bryson Rush Labourdette, of Davis.

The coroner’s report still lists the cause and manner of death both as “pending,” but states that Labourdette apparently left his disabled car and “attempted to cross over highway on foot, and was struck by multiple vehicles.”

The accident occurred at about 6 a.m. Monday on westbound I-80, just before the Yolo Causeway.

Copyright News-Ledger 2014